Re: Looking for guidance on reporting a bug on the roundcube package

On Sat 11 Sep 2021 at 22:40:32 -0400, Steve Dondley wrote:

> First, thanks to everyone here and the Debian community, an amazing project.
>
> Running bullseye with package roundcube. I believe I have found a bug that
> I'd like to report.
>
> I am using reportbug to report it. When doing so, I got this message:
>
> Your version (1.4.11+dfsg.1-4) of roundcube appears to be out of date.
> The following newer release(s) are available in the Debian archive:
>   experimental: 1.5~rc+dfsg.1-1
> Please try to verify if the bug you are about to report is already addressed
> by these releases.  Do you still want to file a report [y|N|q|?]? n
> Newer released version; stopping.

Technically, the first part of the message is correct. However, your
version of roundcube and unstable's version are the same. Submit the
report.

Even if unstable's version was higher, I would still send the report.
The Project needs users to participate.

> I don't want to install an experimental package on a production machine to
> verify the bug and I really don't have the time to set up a debian
> installation and install roundcube to test this.

Not unreasonable. I expect the scary notice on this archive's webpage
is also demotivating.

> So it's unclear to me if I should bother reporting this bug or if they are
> only interested in hearing about bugs from the upcoming release candidate. I
> have reported the bug to roundcube's github page already. I'm not even
> entirely sure if this is a bug with the package or roundcube itself. I'm
> going to assume it's a debian package issue because my issue on github was
> closed without comment:
> https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/8198

Debian is interested in *all* issues affecting a user. The triager will
help sort it out.

> I've always been confused by whether and how debian patches relatively bugs
> like this. I think only security patches were issued and minor usability
> fixes don't get release until the next version of debian. But I may be
> totally wrong on this.

If it is a Debian bug, the fix woudld be applied in unstable and work
its way through the system. The same happens with an upstream fix.

> So would I just be wasting my time and everyone else's by reporting this?

No! Please submit the report.

--
Brian.