Re: Looking for guidance on reporting a bug on the roundcube package

On Sb, 11 sep 21, 22:40:32, Steve Dondley wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone here and the Debian community, an amazing project.
>
> Running bullseye with package roundcube. I believe I have found a bug that
> I'd like to report.
>
> I am using reportbug to report it. When doing so, I got this message:
>
> Your version (1.4.11+dfsg.1-4) of roundcube appears to be out of date.
> The following newer release(s) are available in the Debian archive:
>   experimental: 1.5~rc+dfsg.1-1
> Please try to verify if the bug you are about to report is already addressed
> by these releases.  Do you still want to file a report [y|N|q|?]? n
> Newer released version; stopping.
>
> I don't want to install an experimental package on a production machine to
> verify the bug and I really don't have the time to set up a debian
> installation and install roundcube to test this.

Using free(dom) software sometimes require you invest resources in some
other way, depending on the particular issue and how important it is to
you ;)

> So it's unclear to me if I should bother reporting this bug or if they are
> only interested in hearing about bugs from the upcoming release
> candidate.

In general a report is better than no report. The Maintainer might be
able to easily do the test instead.

Alternatively, it seems you know your way around the source code, so
maybe you can confirm it is still unchanged.

> I have reported the bug to roundcube's github page already. I'm not
> even entirely sure if this is a bug with the package or roundcube
> itself. I'm going to assume it's a debian package issue because my
> issue on github was closed without comment:
> https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/8198

If you're unsure it is best to report the issue to Debian first.

If the problem is upstream the Debian Maintainer might ask you to open
an issue upstream (or do that themselves).

Depending on the relation with Debian some upstreams will just close
bugs instantly at just a mention of Debian. Sometimes this is even
justified (e.g. in case Debian patches the software heavily and/or is
using ancient versions that are not supported anymore).

Closing bugs without *any* kind of explanation is still annoying (to say
the least) :(

> I've always been confused by whether and how debian patches relatively bugs
> like this. I think only security patches were issued and minor usability
> fixes don't get release until the next version of debian. But I may be
> totally wrong on this.

As a general rule stable (and oldstable for one year after the stable
release) only receive fixes for security and major issues. The next
stable release should get new upstream versions instead (that may or may
not fix your issue).

> So would I just be wasting my time and everyone else's by reporting this?

Just documenting an issues is still helpful, as it might help other
Roundcube users (on Debian) save time, e.g. by not redoing your
investigation.

Kind regards,
Andrei