Re: (HTML) Re: Trouble upgrading Debian (reply to David Wright)

On Lu, 06 sep 21, 16:46:24, Dedeco Balaco wrote:

> Em 06/09/2021 14:25, John Hasler escreveu:
> > Curt writes:
> >> I suggest you follow the earlier advice, and set Thunderbird
> >> to compose your email as plain text
> > Or even as "normal" HTML.
>
> If it is trivial to me setting my mail manager to use the dark
> background i need, and to make it ignore the (usually default)
> background of color of all HTML messages, why the people in Debian User
> list cannot do it?

If your mail client is sending both html and plain text most subscribers
will only see the plain text version (unless they go out of their way to
look at the html version).

> I will not change my setting! I need it. Learn to
> deal with it. Things evolve. Being able to use *bold*, /italic/,
> _underscore_ is a minimum of "new" things that help a lot to compose
> good messages.

You mean like the markup in the text above? :)

(probably added by Thunderbird for the text version)

While I do agree with you somewhat, as far as I'm aware there is no
agreed upon standard for HTML mail. How the receiving end will display
your message is very much open to interpretation.

Some mail clients might even "lie" to you and show e.g. a sans font when
composing, but the receiving end will display that message with a serif
font (didn't bother to check the source to see which one of them is
"wrong").

> If Thunderbird has a problem when writing the automatic
> text messages, together with the composed HTML ones, this is a reason to
> _**fix**_ it, not to never use anymore.

There should be a setting in Thunderbird to *not* remove "extra" line
breaks (or similar) for the text version, please enable it.

> I have installed another mail
> manager in my computer: but it is bad, pretty horrible. It does not show
> HTML messages. It does not compose HTML messages. And it is pretty
> counter intuitive to configure, in several parts. It seems handy, have
> nice things. But if you do not know them, or are not familiar enough
> with "something", to be able to understand it, you cannot use them. Its
> name is Claws Mail.

Last time I tried it Claws Mail could display (but not compose) HTML
messages, you might need to enable it and/or install some plugin.

Kind regards,
Andrei