Re: APT testing and unstabe Firefox: can't find newest version from unstable

On 9/5/21, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

> This is the problem with web browsers getting bigger, more complex
> dependencies, more infrastructure complexities - and it has always
> been so. Web browsers are also the go-to applications for stress
> testing any machine once again.

You nailed that! Mine keeps bogging down with 8GB ram and 2.7GHz dual
core. It's running with a smaller Firefox session's worth of tabs than
what ran for hours on 2GB ram and 1.66GHz dual core. I swear it feels
like their browsers are trained to sniff around to see what power
we've got then adjust their usage of our resources accordingly.

As an afterthought, maybe it's the websites themselves doing the
sniffing for available resources, too. Might not be like that, but
it's how it feels based on how I can't seem to get ahead of that game
here. I'm just so over it with respect to having to log out then log
back in to clear out the cobwebs when it starts grinding to a halt.

As a secondary afterthought turned heads up: In cleaning out my setup
regularly, I one day noticed a BUNCH of cookies at the top of the last
time used list when they should not have been. The relevance to
browser resource usage is that I hadn't been on the affected websites'
tabs in months.

A lot of cookies are respectfully sitting silent and unused, but there
are a few that are not. That's going to take an escalating toll on
available computer resources, too. One obvious quick fix would be to
manually block those cookies if they're not important and as they
become apparent.

Oh, and don't get me started griping about those websites that plant
70, 80, 100+ cookies per single or maybe two or three page turns on
their sites. I've seen that happen in the past while deleting a site's
entire cookie lineup because their site's not working properly.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
* runs with birdseed *