Re: APT testing and unstabe Firefox: can't find newest version from unstable

On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 20:50:06 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

>Version 91 is only in experimental.

Probably blocked by some Rust stuff again. Anyone who's waiting and if
possible please get a flatpak and get on with your life. Debian is
providing that for a reason, too. We've been at the same point about a
year ago when on some mailing list it was suggested Debian should just
provide a flatpak. A joke of course, well I think it was. Still I
decided to actually give it a try and have been happily using two of
these since then, Firefox, and Chromium, which itself is too often
vulnerable in Sid. Perhaps in the future distributions should really
consider making do with, say, Firefox ESR and direct users who need
"more" to something anyone can sort of agree on and flock together,
that might well be avenues like Flatpak or AppImage. Container
solutions are certainly not the be-all and end-all but I don't see much
of a drawback for a case like this. You'll spend about a GiB extra,
it's basically pulling its own small userland, once. Command line use
needs some getting used to, kind of like systemd, hardly surprising if
you know where it's from. But easy enough, same with desktop
integration. There's no sane reason for using an outdated web browser
today. If you want or need to stay purist, there is always ESR.

Oliver