Re: APT testing and unstabe Firefox: can't find newest version from unstable

On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 08:56:36PM +0200, Oliver Schoede wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 20:50:06 +0200
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >Version 91 is only in experimental.
> >

> Probably blocked by some Rust stuff again. Anyone who's waiting and if
> possible please get a flatpak and get on with your life. Debian is
> providing that for a reason, too. We've been at the same point about a
> year ago when on some mailing list it was suggested Debian should just
> provide a flatpak. A joke of course, well I think it was. Still I
> decided to actually give it a try and have been happily using two of
> these since then, Firefox, and Chromium, which itself is too often
> vulnerable in Sid. Perhaps in the future distributions should really
> consider making do with, say, Firefox ESR and direct users who need
> "more" to something anyone can sort of agree on and flock together,
> that might well be avenues like Flatpak or AppImage. Container
> solutions are certainly not the be-all and end-all but I don't see much
> of a drawback for a case like this. You'll spend about a GiB extra,
> it's basically pulling its own small userland, once. Command line use
> needs some getting used to, kind of like systemd, hardly surprising if
> you know where it's from. But easy enough, same with desktop
> integration. There's no sane reason for using an outdated web browser
> today. If you want or need to stay purist, there is always ESR.
>
> Oliver

This is the problem with web browsers getting bigger, more complex
dependencies, more infrastructure complexities - and it has always
been so. Web browsers are also the go-to applications for stress
testing any machine once again.

Flatpaks and appimages are fine if they can be built - there's every
chance that they, too witll be hit by this sort of thing at some
point.

Firefox ESR is actually releatively reasonable in terms of how fast
it moves - it still isn't easy for anyone to build. [And upstream
show no particular interest in Firefox for other architectures -
so have fun if you're running arm].

At some point, bookworm will settle a little more and it will be
feasible to start providing lots more in bullseye-backports. In
the interim