Re: masked service file

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 03:09:59PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 07:54:02PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > As a non-professional sysadmin, this "Brian person" is wondering why
> > the OP's question (clearly relating to saned) is sidelined in favour
> > of other concerns.
>
> I'm not sure *what* the OP's question really is.  They're on an X-Y
> tangent about masking, which is extremely irritating to me, since they
> aren't giving enough information even to be able to answer the tangential
> question, let alone to solve the original problem.
>
> We can't do *anything* with the lack of information we're being given.
>

> Who the hell knows?  Maybe if we had some *details* we might be able to
> formulate a guess.
>
> >  > Can I find out why it's masked ?
>
> But sure, OP, keep on not providing information.  It's so useful.  It's
> getting you such high quality answers.

People in general == all the contributors to this thread.

I can sense the exasperation: I can feel the tension. Believe me, I understand
where you are all coming from

BUT

You've prompted my (almost weekly) reminder to

* adhere to the code of conduct.

* play the ball not the man - don't engage in disguised personal attacks

* step aside from emotion and ask technical questions dispassionately and
  clearly

* make this mailing list a worthwhile place to read

There is a space for frustration and annoyance that somehow, despite your
very best efforts, the person typing at the other end doesn't "get it" no
matter how clear you are - but it's a general annoyance that you can't
get across what you know to help them, rather than hitting out at someone.

There's a minimal space for banter and back and forth comments and being able
to rely on regular commenters to answer - and an inward feeling of "Oh, no,
not THAT topic again from THAT person" when some things come out again for
the Nth time -  but no space for belittling people for what they do/do not
know or contribute.

There's a space for knowing when to stop, when to not hit reply, when to
step away from the keyboard or give it up as a lost cause. That step might
be to be silent - or it might be a chance to put in a reflective comment on
"The following topics come up regularly" and a collected summation of
several discussions.

There is space for a better "How to ask meaningful questions" topic
either here or in wiki.debian.org. There's certainly space for a better
"These come up regularly FAQ" but there isn't really space from experienced
folk for some of the behaviour that happens here.

For the avoidance of doubt: I can be (and have been) guilty of a lot of the
less good behaviour outlined above on various lists and forums over the years
- this is not a holier than thou post - but it's sometimes good to look back
dispassionately and see what impression some threads leave.

I'm also more than willing to try and draft better FAQs.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater

[As a member of the Community Team]