Re: How to update Debian 11 source.list to testing?

On 2021-09-03 at 13:40, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 06:24:31PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>
>> On Fri 03 Sep 2021 at 10:40:32 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>>
>>> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free
>>> contrib deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>>> non-free contrib
>
>> Surely - if you have a package installed from a previous release,
>> it does not get removed simply because testing does not have it?
>
> Correct.
>
>> It looks to me that the first line in sources.list does not help in
>> this situation.
>
> Also correct, *but* it does help if you want to install something
> from stable that has been removed from testing.

Yep - and that's the main reason why I keep this arrangement.

> In the absence of "pinning", using the two lines that The Wanderer
> posted would give you a testing system, with the option to pull in
> packages from stable if needed.  It's a viable setup.  Sensible.
>
> The problem is, sometimes people think it's the opposite of that.
> They think they can run a "mostly stable" system with the option to
> cherry-pick packages from testing.  This is *NOT* the case.  And no
> amount of "pinning" will make it so.

I hadn't even considered that angle, although now that it's been brought
up I recall having seen it discussed in the past.

No, indeed - that's not going to work, and it should not be anything
close to recommended. I would not want my description of my own setup to
be interpreted as an endorsement of trying to do that.

--
   The Wanderer