Re: QEMU guests can ping but can't access host

On Thu, 02 Sep 2021 12:43:41 -0500
"David Palacio" <debian@david.palacio.io> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I have recently installed Debian testing around its alpha release
> state. Previously I had a working Windows 10 QEMU guest with access
> to the host Samba shares in a previous Debian testing install. I
> copied the Windows 10 disk image over to the new Debian install and
> set it up to run again but it no longer could connect to the host. It
> can ping it and the host responds to the ping but any access attempt
> to the host on a TCP port is dropped. This too happens to any new
> virtual machine I create from scratch, including Linux VMs. I have no
> idea what has changed on the host. I suspect it may be the firewall
> but I'm no network admin and I know very little outside of
> network-manager and /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> I use virtual machine manager to create and run my virtual machines.

If you copied a disk image (.qcow2 extension) over, but not the setup
files that Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) uses (in /etc/libvirt), then
Windows is on a new machine, and can have conniptions over it. Go into
Windows' device manager (or whatever they're calling it this week) and
see if it is finding all its hardware correctly.

What program are you using to try to contact the host?

You may also have a firewall issue, as you say. On the host, please run
whatever you use as a firewall control program and check to see if the
relevant port(s) is open.

You may find it useful to open a terminal and, as root, run

tail -f /var/log/syslog

and, while that is sitting there, try contacting the host again. If the
firewall is blocking you, you'll see it in syslog.

If nothing obvious jumps out at you, let us know which program(s) you
are using to control your firewall (shorewall, ufw, gufw, etc.), and we
will see if someone familiar with that program can help.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/