Re: jupyter-notebook and bullseye

D. R. Evans wrote:
> > If the user really wants /usr/bin/python the user should install
> > python-is-python2 or python-is-python3. And these two packages conflict
> > with each other.
>
> Once upon a time, not really that long ago, Debian seemed to make very
> sensible decisions to keep everything stable and working across upgrades. In
> the past few years, however, I find myself shaking my head and wondering
> "what were they thinking?"

95% of the time, making the best available choices in a world
where nobody else cares.

4% of the time, shrugging and saying "everybody else is doing
it".

1% of the time, inexplicable.

I think that these ratios are better than other distributions,
which is why I keep using and recommending Debian.

> It's not that some of the things they've done are
> necessarily *wrong* per se, but they have certainly been a lot more
> experimental than one wants in an environment that one expects to keep
> working properly across upgrades; it seems that somehow the importance of
> keeping the users' systems functioning as one hopes they will is now a much
> lower priority than it used to be.

You can't have a bug-free system, you can't have a stable system, and
you can't have an up-to-date system. You can lean closer to any two of
those by getting further from the third.

In general, each Debian stable=>stable upgrade has been less disruptive
than the previous one. A distro can go to a rolling release, but that
means that either something is broken all the time or there is only one
canonical way to do things: a notional Debian "Luxo" rolling release that
tried to produce a stabilized stream from testing would require twice
as many Debian Developers, or an 85% cut in the number of packages,
or perhaps both.

-dsr-