Re: jupyter-notebook and bullseye

Reco wrote on 12/31/21 1:47 PM:

That was certainly a help (although I wonder why it was necessary for me to do that manually),

It's official Debian policy now, believe it or not.
python 2.x is /usr/bin/python2.
python 3.x is /usr/bin/python3.

If the user really wants /usr/bin/python the user should install
python-is-python2 or python-is-python3. And these two packages conflict
with each other.

Once upon a time, not really that long ago, Debian seemed to make very sensible decisions to keep everything stable and working across upgrades. In the past few years, however, I find myself shaking my head and wondering "what were they thinking?" It's not that some of the things they've done are necessarily *wrong* per se, but they have certainly been a lot more experimental than one wants in an environment that one expects to keep working properly across upgrades; it seems that somehow the importance of keeping the users' systems functioning as one hopes they will is now a much lower priority than it used to be.

but ultimately I am still unable to do anything.

I'm not familiar with jupyter and I'm not using it.

Pretty wise; I think. I was sucked in a bit about the hype that surrounds it and put in quite a bit of effort to build some useful notebooks a few years ago. But now I find that it's pretty much like the majority of experiments I've tried over the years: it looks nifty, and doubtless some people find it useful, but for me it's too fragile and ultimately the cost in time isn't worth the possible benefit.

But it certainly would be nice to at least be able to use my old jupyter notebooks, even if it's unlikely that I'll create any new ones.

Judging from [1], you're required to reinstall all these "jupyter
kernels", because what you have was installed for python2, but what you
need is to install them for python3.

But then again, I could be wrong. Sorry, cannot help you further.

That's probably a good bet. I don't remember how any of those kernels got installed [I thought that all except the sos kernel were from debian repositories, but my memory might be faulty], so I'll have to search around and see what I can dig up. The evidence to hand does seem to suggest that they don't auto-upgrade and therefore need to be upgraded manually somehow.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, especially as you don't use jupyter yourself.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans