Re: Reasonably simple setup for 1TB HDD and 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Hello!

Em [2021-12-08 qua 22:05:50-0800], David Christensen escreveu:

> I would remove the 1 TB HDD, install the 250 GB NVMe SSD, and do a fresh
> install of Debian 11 with MBR partitioning, 1E+9 byte boot partition
> (ext4)

Why MBR partitioning and why a separate boot partition?

> I would put the 1 TB HDD into an external HDD enclosure and use it to
> store system images (e.g. partition table, boot, swap, and root).

I already have a 1.5 TB external HDD.  And I intend to use GPT
partitioning, which (I've read) stores checksummed copies of the
partition table.  For the actual data, I have weekly backups to the
external HDD, and I intend to have daily rsync of some of the SSD data
to the internal HDD.  Would not that be safe enough?

> I recommend a file server or NAS for bulk data -- downloads, music,
> photographs, videos, etc..

I would like to setup a home server, but probably not very soon.

> I recommend a version control server for user project files and system
> configuration files.

I store my dotfiles (and some other data) in a git repository in my
notebook.  I hope that duplicity is correctly backing up that git
repository, but I admit I have not tested it.

Regards!

--
- Many people hate injustice but few check the facts; this causes more
  injustice.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>