Re: [SOLVED] Firefox + Thunderbird upstream solution

On Fri, 2021-12-10 at 13:48 +0000, piorunz wrote:
[...]
> Run instructions below each time there is new upstream version of
> Firefox or Thunderbird:
> /cd opt
> sudo wget -O firefox.tar.bz2
> "https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-esr-latest&os=linux64&lang=en-GB";
> sudo tar vxf firefox.tar.bz2
> sudo rm firefox.tar.bz2
> sudo ln -fs /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/

Will Firefox be able to update itself with security updates?
One HowTo on the web I saw said to change permissions of files
extracted from the tarball to allow this, (using chmod 755). Though to
me, it seems that wouldn't help without changing the owner too, which
I've done (to my user). Will see how things go on the next ESR release.

--
Tixy