Re: Reasonably simple setup for 1TB HDD and 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 10 dec 21, 07:21:37, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> > > It still has to be reserved from somewhere, and swap appears to be the
> > > logical choice for that.
> >
> > No, it was a convenient choice. A better choice would have been
> > a way to mark a swap partition or file as for use only by the
> > hibernation system, or, as actually once existed, a system that
> > would mount a specific swap partition during the hibernation
> > shutdown procedure, and unmount it after recovery.
>
> In my opinion that would be a waste of space.

It is a reasonable opinion, but I disagree.

On modern laptops, there is usually a lot of disk space (500GB - 1TB),
so 8-64GB reserved for a special use is not a terrible price compared
to other things we do. I wouldn't make it mandatory, just easy.

Many laptops never need to go to disk-stored suspension; a low-power
sleep mode is all they need to get through to the next power point. For
the cases where it is necessary, it should be as reliable as possible.

-dsr-