Re: Reasonably simple setup for 1TB HDD and 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

hdv@gmail wrote:
> On 2021-12-08 15:27, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:
> > Hi everyone!  I have a Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop with 1TB HDD and 16 GiB
> > RAM (it supports 32 GiB).  I am about to buy an M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD---a

> Regarding the swap space: I wouldn't make it so big. That really isn't
> necessary. I have a 64GB RAM system here, on which I have 2GB of swap. I
> doubt I have ever seen conky show me more than 35% use. And I am quite a
> heavy user of system resources (much 3D CAD editing, photo editing, video
> editing and rendering, and often multiple VM's in use).
>
> My laptop has 32GB of RAM and 2 GB of swap and on that system I haven't seen
> much swapping either.

Swap is where a laptop stores RAM during suspend-to-disk, the long
term hibernation suspension. Without at least as much swap as
RAM, you are limited to suspend-to-RAM.

In a more perfect world, the space for suspension would not
otherwise be treated as swap space.

-dsr-