Re: Don't try this at home kids

On 29/11/2021 22:41, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

> On 30/11/21 6:25 am, Bob Bernstein wrote:
>> How do I tell sudo not to ask me for my password?
>>
>> It's me. I'm on my computer. I already logged in with my password. No
>> one else is logged on.
>>
>> I know all you purists out there are rending your garments if not
>> your flesh. but c'mon sudo! Can't a brother catch a break around here?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
> edit /etc/sudoers and modify / add
>
> username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
>
> P.S. I am totally unconvinced about the arguments for using sudo
> rather than running as root. You can do exactly the same damage with
> sudo as being root user.
"sudo" is supposed to be used as part of a wider ecosystem. By
encouraging users to run "sudo foo" rather than running "foo" directly
as root, sudo can trigger audit events and so on.
> P.P.S The conventional instruction is to use visudo to do the edits.
> Which means using Vi, which is another anachronism that should be
> humanely put down.
Actually, sudo will run $SUDO_EDITOR or else $VISUAL (hence the name) or
else $EDITOR.  So, you can use emacs or joe or nano or anything like
that, if you prefer.