Re: Don't try this at home kids

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursamundi.org> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 11:57 PM Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>
>  David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
>
>  > On Mon 29 Nov 2021 at 17:47:24 (-0500), Jude DaShiell wrote:
>  >> sudo doesn't ask me for my password and I didn't even touch /etc/sudoers
>  >> to do it.  A file placed in /etc/sudoers.d with permissions of 0440 having
>  >> any name you choose and contents like:
>  >> user ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
>  >> in it with user being the account name will do it.
>  >
>  > As /etc/sudoers already contains the line:
>  >
>  >   %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>  >
>  > one should be able to achieve the same effect by
>  > adding the user to the sudo group.
>
>  Near as I can tell from my experience, that doesn't work around the
>  password requirement.
>
> Make sure you log out and log back in after you do 'adduser joe sudo' (or whatever your username is). Group permissions are generally only effective as
> they were at the time of that session's login.

While you're right about need to log out and back in again after changes
to /etc/sudoers, my /etc/sudoers files have had the %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
line for *years*.

Do you by any chance have your system set up so you can login without a
password?  That's a guess at something that might explain the
difference.