Re: Don't try this at home kids

On 11/29/21 2:41 PM, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
P.S. I am totally unconvinced about the arguments for using sudo rather than running as root. You can do exactly the same damage with sudo as being root user. P.P.S The conventional instruction is to use visudo to do the edits. Which means using Vi, which is another anachronism that should be humanely put down.

That's about the size of it. I've used forty-year-old non-full-screen editors that are a hundred times more intuitive than vi is. And the only reason ROOT access is more dangerous than, say, QSECOFR access on OS/400 (or whatever IBM is calling it this week) is because there's nothing stopping a Linux ROOT from doing things *nobody* should be allowed to do without putting the system into some kind of maintenance mode.

I have access to a number of Amazon Linux virtual boxes, that don't like password authentication in general (preferring certificate authentication . . . which authenticates the BOX that is ssh-ing in, but not the WARM BODY between the chair and the keyboard).

And if you have a system that doesn't allow ROOT to sign on, and doesn't allow you to SU, then you can achieve the same result by doing

  sudo bash

--
JHHL