Re: Ensuring network connectivity no Ethernet [WAS Re: Drivers to Debian installer]

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 06:06:53PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 21 Nov 2021 at 17:53:57 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> > > If you really mean drivers (and not firmware) I think the answer is
> > > "no". At least not easily.

> > > Firmware for network devices only, I believe.

> > > I took a quick look at the specs for this machine. It does not appear
> > > to have an ethernet interface.

> > > I agee with that.

> > > Normally I would agree with this too, but the lack of ethernet is likely
> > > to lead to an issue with connectivity after first boot. See
> > >
> > >   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694068

In this _particular_ instance ideally no DE because of the problem of 2x
video interfaces

> > > --
> > > Brian.
> > >

> > No Ethernet means additional complications :)
>
> The particuler complication I mentioned only arises should a DE not be
> installed. This has been recognised as a Debian hoop to jump through.
>
> > WiFi firmware - the nonfree firmware-iwlwifi probably - will be installed
> > as part of the initial install - so you should have network connectivity
> > for that at least.
>
> Assuming a wireless connection is established by the installer it will
> remain available after first boot, irrespective of whether a DE is
> installed or not.
>
> > I'd install Network Manager and nmtui to set up a minimal wireless interface
> > thereafter. You can do that either by dropping to a shell in the initial
> > install or by using the rescue mode of the installer to chroot to the installed
> >  system and go from there.
>
> Installing a DE will probably pull in network-manager.

See above: explicitly trying _not_ to install a DE until the video is
configured.

> > This is one of the reasons why I keep around a USB -> Ethernet adapter but
> > I recognise that I'm an oddity here.
>
> Not a bad idea. Should it be necessary, though?

No - but for this sort of thing - or where the onboard wifi interface
requires a driver to be built / downloaded - Broadcom and fwcutter, I'm
looking at you - then this is the only way to get it all to work.
[Have done this for Raspberry Pi boards without wifi and Ethernet in order to
get the wifi drivers for a USB dongle to compile]

All best,

Andy Cater