Ensuring network connectivity no Ethernet [WAS Re: Drivers to Debian installer]

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 05:46:13PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 21 Nov 2021 at 16:30:06 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 05:38:56PM +0300, John Berden wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I have Acer Nitra 5 laptop with the following parameters:
> > > Six-core Intel i5-11400H
> > > System board chipset Intel Tiger Point HM570, Intel Tiger Lake-H
> > > DIMM1: Samsung M471A1K43EB1-CWE
> > > DIMM3: Samsung M471A1K43EB1-CWE
> > > Integrated video Intel(R) UHD Graphics
> > > Discrete video NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU
> > >
> > > Can I embed Drivers for these devices to Debian installer?
>
> If you really mean drivers (and not firmware) I think the answer is
> "no". At least not easily.
>
> > > Or at least how can I embed a WiFi driver?
> > > I use Firmware-11.1.0-AMD64-DVD-1.Iso
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >

> > Hi John,
> >
> > Use the firmware .iso you have to install Debian. At the point at which
> > you need firmware, the installer should supply it.
>
> Firmware for network devices only, I believe.
>
> > If you have an Ethernet port and can used a wired interface to bootstrap
> > installation do so.
>
> I took a quick look at the specs for this machine. It does not appear
> to have an ethernet interface.
>
> > A complication is that this is a gaming laptop with two video displays.
> > If you wish to use both, then there are difficulties in doing so.
> >
> > I would suggest booting from the isntaller and doing an expert install.
>
> I agee with that.
>
> > Stop without installing any desktop - so unselect a Debian desktop.
>
> Normally I would agree with this too, but the lack of ethernet is likely
> to lead to an issue with connectivity after first boot. See
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694068
>
> > Complete the install as text only if you can.
> >
> > Decide whether you want to use the proprietary Nvidia drivers or not.
> >
> > Install the bumblebee utilities as appropriate
> >
> > If using the Nvidia propriatary drivers, install the nvidia-driver utilities
> > as prompted.
> >
> > Once that's done: reboot.
> >
> > Only at that point install a desktop using tasksel as root/root equivalent.
> >
> > Hope this helps, I don't particularly have a gaming laptop to install on.
>
> --
> Brian.

No Ethernet means additional complications :)

WiFi firmware - the nonfree firmware-iwlwifi probably - will be installed
as part of the initial install - so you should have network connectivity
for that at least.

I'd install Network Manager and nmtui to set up a minimal wireless interface
thereafter. You can do that either by dropping to a shell in the initial
install or by using the rescue mode of the installer to chroot to the installed
 system and go from there.

This is one of the reasons why I keep around a USB -> Ethernet adapter but
I recognise that I'm an oddity here.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater