Re: Dependency check: qml-module-org-kde-newstuff

On Du, 03 oct 21, 11:31:33, Hans wrote:

> My installation is not unusual. However, I am using aptitude and my
> config says "do not install recommended packages".

This configuration is your personal choice and the side effect of that
choice is that you must deal with the occasional missing package.

One possible use-case for disabling Recommends completely are
installations that are *very* space constrained (for whatever reason).

Since it seems you do have the space for the additional package you
might want to reconsider your configuration. Is the hassle really worth
the space saved?

For me personally the answer is "mostly not", so I left Recommends
enabled and disable them selectively for specific installs, where my
feeling and/or educated guess is that a significant number of packages
installed are useless for me.

This is for a small-isch install on a USB stick[1], i.e. space and write
speed are my main concerns (though reducing writes is probably also a
good idea).

Of course, this can backfire if one is not careful, e.g. both ppp and
modemmanager are only Recommends of network-manager[2]. If I choose to
omit them I might find myself in the situation where I can't connect to
the internet to download the packages needed to connect to the internet.

[1] 8,2 GiB excluding /home
[2] Which is a reasonable choice for a desktop with a wired
connection... until you change ISPs and the new one requires PPPoE to
connect ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei