Re: Up-to-date Bullseye, Power Save turned Samsung T55 Monitor off. Couldn't wake it up

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
Kenneth Parker wrote:
> HP Elitedesk 705 G1.  Bullseye XFCE.
>
> I had a timeout set like usual.  Before, I could jiggle the Mouse and press
> the Shift Key and it would wake up, but not today.
>
> Fortunately, I was able to power up a Laptop, and SSH into the Elitedesk,
> and tell it to Shutdown cleanly.  (But, obviously not everyone has this
> option).
>
> (Until I can figure this out, I changed the Power settings to "Never" turn
> off the Monitor).

This is the sort of thing which is often caused by a machine
being told to go to sleep -- i.e. suspend to ram, suspend to
disk -- in some way which doesn't let it wake up the video card
again.

A simple DPMS power off / power on ought to work -- from X, try

xset +dpms
xset dpms suspend

The xset command (version 1.2.4) gave "xset: unknown option suspend".

and wait a moment. It should come back when you tap a key,
possibly if you wiggle a mouse.

One note:  Even though I was unable to wake up the Display, I  *was*  able to ssh in from my Laptop, so the computer itself wasn't "Suspended".   (Also, I never enable "system sleep mode" on a Desktop computer, since I enjoy listening to Classical Music while the Display may be off.  If I would be inclined to [i.e. leave my Apartment], I cleanly shutdown the system).

If it doesn't, that's valuable info too.

Look in logs to see if anything interesting happened before you
got to ssh in.

I am still working to understand these Logs.  I copied /var/log/messages to my Home Directory and, since it is huge, used the split command.   Nothing jumped out.

Many thanks!

Kenneth Parker