Re: Network down incorrect........

	On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 11:39:13 -0500 David Informed me about Re:
	Network down incorrect........

> On Sat 28 Aug 2021 at 23:38:44 (+1000), Charlie wrote:
> > 	Since Bullseye went stable, updated on my 12 month old HP
> > 	laptop. When attempting to bring up the wireless interface
> > with ifup.
> >
> > The message on the screen tells me the "network is down", which is
> > incorrect. Because on another Bullseye machine it works perfectly.
> > as it did on this one before it went stable.
>
> It's a matter of perspective: it means the network is down on this
> machine. That being so, it can't venture an opinion on the state of
> the external network.
>
> > It gives the message:
> >
> > RTNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
> >
> > Then tries to connect for about 12 or so tries.
> >
> > I have not installed rfkill, and can't find it to uninstall it.
>
> The name of the command is somewhat deceptive. Just as the "kill"
> command doesn't just kill processes but sends them signals, so
> "rfkill" both disables and enables wireless networks. You want it
> (from the package of the same name).
>
> > On the web there is a reference to this "RTNETLINK answers:
> > Operation not possible due to RF-kill" on Archlinux where it was
> > solved by bringing the BIOS back to default. I tried that, but
> > temporarily locked myself out of the system. Then asking me to
> > install an operating system on the hard drive. I brought that back
> > buy returning the BIOS to when it booted the system.
> >
> > I can use the Ethernet port and cable to connect to the internet
> > with that machine, however, did connect wirelessly when Bullseye
> > was testing.
> >
> > Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> I think the days of providing a separate button for killing wireless
> have passed. (My old Acer has a badly placed button that's easy to
> accidently press with your trouser belt.)
>
> Nowadays, it's usual to provide instead a function key to toggle
> wireless instead. By "function" key, I mean the locally modified
> functions, often call "hotkeys", usually selected by pressing some
> coloured Fn modifier. You might have a picture of an aeroplane¹
> engraved on the key, and typically there are other functions like
> screen-blank, sleep, volume, brightness, etc in close proximity.
>
> Running rfkill with no arguments should show you the status of
> the WiFi, Bluetooth etc as Hard/Soft (un)blocked as appropriate.
>
> An alternative to all this is that you have firmware installed on
> buster that you haven't yet installed for bullseye. One would hope
> that an upgrade would carry it over, but you need to check.
>
> ¹ which tells you why this is easy to turn on/off: who wants to
>   be fiddling with the BIOS while sitting waiting for takeoff.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks David,

This is a bullseye system that went from testing to stable, so will
give the things you suggest a larrup and see how I go.

But later today. I have a kangaroo to transport to another wildlife
carer.

Thank you,
Charlie

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Life is an adventure in forgiveness. --- Norman Cousins

	Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.