Specifying dedicated partions during install - pros/cons?

During the partitioning phase of the install process, the user is given the option of creating dedicated partitions. I chose to do it for /home and swap {depending on machine I may also have a dedicated project partition}.

That the partition phase presents a menu of ~10 choices indicates the Debian team considers this an significant feature.

Where would I find a discussion of why the particular items rated inclusion on the menu?

TIA