Re: Network down incorrect........

On Sat 28 Aug 2021 at 23:38:44 (+1000), Charlie wrote:
> 	Since Bullseye went stable, updated on my 12 month old HP
> 	laptop. When attempting to bring up the wireless interface with
> 	ifup.
>
> The message on the screen tells me the "network is down", which is
> incorrect. Because on another Bullseye machine it works perfectly. as
> it did on this one before it went stable.

It's a matter of perspective: it means the network is down on this
machine. That being so, it can't venture an opinion on the state of
the external network.

> It gives the message:
>
> RTNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
>
> Then tries to connect for about 12 or so tries.
>
> I have not installed rfkill, and can't find it to uninstall it.

The name of the command is somewhat deceptive. Just as the "kill"
command doesn't just kill processes but sends them signals, so
"rfkill" both disables and enables wireless networks. You want it
(from the package of the same name).

> On the web there is a reference to this "RTNETLINK answers: Operation
> not possible due to RF-kill" on Archlinux where it was solved by
> bringing the BIOS back to default. I tried that, but temporarily locked
> myself out of the system. Then asking me to install an operating system
> on the hard drive. I brought that back buy returning the BIOS to when
> it booted the system.
>
> I can use the Ethernet port and cable to connect to the internet with
> that machine, however, did connect wirelessly when Bullseye was testing.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

I think the days of providing a separate button for killing wireless
have passed. (My old Acer has a badly placed button that's easy to
accidently press with your trouser belt.)

Nowadays, it's usual to provide instead a function key to toggle
wireless instead. By "function" key, I mean the locally modified
functions, often call "hotkeys", usually selected by pressing some
coloured Fn modifier. You might have a picture of an aeroplane¹
engraved on the key, and typically there are other functions like
screen-blank, sleep, volume, brightness, etc in close proximity.

Running rfkill with no arguments should show you the status of
the WiFi, Bluetooth etc as Hard/Soft (un)blocked as appropriate.

An alternative to all this is that you have firmware installed on
buster that you haven't yet installed for bullseye. One would hope
that an upgrade would carry it over, but you need to check.

¹ which tells you why this is easy to turn on/off: who wants to
  be fiddling with the BIOS while sitting waiting for takeoff.

Cheers,
David.