Re: CUPS permissions >Fixed

On Sat 28 Aug 2021 at 07:11:55 -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:

> On 8/26/21 5:53 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

> > 2) Install cups.
> * cups was not installed by default. The Brother installer did flag that
> first off, easily corrected

A print queue was installed by Sun 22 Aug 2021 05:44:11 AM PDT. So cups
was present when you first posted.

> > 3) Visit http://localhost:631/ in a GUI web browser.  Make sure Javascript
> >     is allowed.
> >
> > 4) At some point, when you try to do stuff to the printers in the browser,
> >     you will be prompted for a username and password, using HTTP basic
> >     authentication.  When this occurs, you should login as root, using
> >     root's password.
>
> BINGO: I was not using root

That's not correct. Your user was not given root priviledges is the
correct conclusiom. You, root  and the user are not the same entities.
What does "I" refer to?

A responsible administrator does not hand out administrator priviledges
to anyone who comes along. Put the user into the lpadmin group.

Nobody should be logging into the web interface as root.

Glad you got it sorted, though.

(Incidentally, why you have any need for the Brother drivers is beyond
me).

--
Brian.