Re: CUPS permissions >Fixed

On 8/26/21 5:53 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 01:37:49PM +0100, Brian wrote:
On Thu 26 Aug 2021 at 13:23:58 +0100, mick crane wrote:

On 2021-08-26 12:59, Peter Ehlert wrote:
On 8/25/21 12:11 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
Some people report restarting the browser is enough.  Some claim they
have to reboot.  Who knows.

thanks. restarting firefox worked.
I got the login dialog box

after login as (user)
Add Printer gives> Unable to add printer: Forbidden

back to square one
I've got a print server working but I've forgotten how.
added a new printer a year or so ago.
Might have been lpadmin or something.
I do know always have to reboot after making changes.
Rebooting after adding a printer is *never* needed.
Agreed.

I suspect there's some *really* basic misunderstanding going on at some
level.  Let's start from the beginning.
Thanks for this list of basics. I am now beginning to understand.

In order to administer a printer in CUPS, you do the following things:

1) Make sure the root account has a PASSWORD.  Make sure you know it.
    Access to sudo doesn't count.
I never use sudo, no users get sudo privileges on any of my machines.

2) Install cups.
* cups was not installed by default. The Brother installer did flag that first off, easily corrected

3) Visit http://localhost:631/ in a GUI web browser.  Make sure Javascript
    is allowed.

4) At some point, when you try to do stuff to the printers in the browser,
    you will be prompted for a username and password, using HTTP basic
    authentication.  When this occurs, you should login as root, using
    root's password.

BINGO: I was not using root

5) If you screwed up and logged in as yourself, restart the web browser
    so that you can get the HTTP basic authentication dialog box again.  Go
    to step 4.

6) Once the printer is set up via the browser, you should be able to see
    it and print to it from the command line.  "lpstat -t" to see all of
    the printers and their status.  "lp" or "lpr" to print a text file.
$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for MFCL3770CDW: dnssd://Brother%20MFC-L3770CDW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-b4220033103b
MFCL3770CDW accepting requests since Sun 22 Aug 2021 05:44:11 AM PDT
printer MFCL3770CDW is idle.  enabled since Sun 22 Aug 2021 05:44:11 AM PDT

Any variants on this procedure will require knowledge that I don't
personally possess.  E.g. if for some reason you refuse to set a root
password, then you may have to set up a printer-admin account which
has the appropriate privileges, and a password, and then use that
instead of root.  I don't know what those privs would be.

I removed my browser cookie for "localhost"

restarted the browser

when CUPS requested a password I used "root"

I am now able to add printers and edit all options

Thanks to all for the assistance and Education