Re: Specifying dedicated partions during install - pros/cons?

David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 28 Aug 2021 at 10:34:34 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
>> During the partitioning phase of the install process, the user is
>> given the option of creating dedicated partitions. I chose to do it
>> for /home and swap {depending on machine I may also have a dedicated
>> project partition}.
>>
>> That the partition phase presents a menu of ~10 choices indicates the
>> Debian team considers this an significant feature.
>>
>> Where would I find a discussion of why the particular items rated
>> inclusion on the menu?
>
> Do you mean this?
>
>    ┌────────────────┤ [!!] Partition disks ├────────────────┐
>    │                                                        │
>    │ Mount point for this partition:                        │
>    │                                                        │
>    │  / - the root file system                              │
>    │  /boot - static files of the boot loader               │
>    │  /home - user home directories                         │
>    │  /tmp - temporary files                                │
>    │  /usr - static data                                    │
>    │  /var - variable data                                  │
>    │  /srv - data for services provided by this system      │
>    │  /opt - add-on application software packages           │
>    │  /usr/local - local hierarchy                          │
>    │  Enter manually                                        │
>    │  Do not mount it                                       │
>    │                                                        │
>    │     <Go Back>                                          │
>    │                                                        │
>    └────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
>
> What's to discuss? They're all there, those that are sensible.
> Which would you consider for exclusion from this list?
> Or are you suggesting they've missed one? What?

  aren't these historically relevant possible choices for someone
doing an expert install?

  to find out where they come from you would have to go back
into the early years of unix and then read forwards to see
if you can find where the newer one(s) were added (srv seems
to have been added after the web and web services came along).

> In case you're actually talking about:
>
>    ┌───────┤ [!!] Partition disks ├───────┐
>    │                                      │
>    │ How to use this partition:           │
>    │                                      │
>    │  Ext4 journaling file system         │
>    │  Ext3 journaling file system         │
>    │  Ext2 file system                    │
>    │  btrfs journaling file system        │
>    │  JFS journaling file system          │
>    │  XFS journaling file system          │
>    │  FAT16 file system                   │
>    │  FAT32 file system                   │
>    │  swap area                           │
>    │  physical volume for encryption      │
>    │  physical volume for RAID            │
>    │  physical volume for LVM             │
>    │  do not use the partition            │
>    │     <Go Back>                        │
>
> then repost (but you might as well give answers as above).

  songbird