Re: New SSD card for old dell 850

On 8/25/21 4:59 AM, juh wrote:
Dear all,

there is a LITEONIT LMT-32L3M (LWDA) in my dell xps 850 desktop computer.  I use it for the boot and system partitions, home is on a hard disk.

The SSD only has 32GB and I am pondering whether I can just attach a
bigger one and reinstall debian mounting / and /home to the ssd and using the hard disk for
archives.

Here is picture of it:
https://www.ebay.com/p/668700327

But I fear that it requires a sort of miniPCI interface that modern SSDs does not
have. Can anyone confirm this or even better hint to a compatible
product?

TIA
juh

Do you mean XPS 8500?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-8500/overview

What is the service tag?

My guess is that the computer came with Windows and the 32 GB mSATA SSD was used to accelerate the HDD. You are fortunate that you can install and boot Linux on the SSD; some machines and/or cache SSD's cannot do that.

I prefer to keep my OS images small enough to fit onto "16 GB" devices -- SSD, SD card, USB flash drive, HDD, etc. -- and put my bulk data on a file server. This facilitates imaging/ cloning for migrations (Debian N -> Debian N+1) and disaster preparedness/ recovery, etc..

The Specifications show:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8500_reference%20guide_en-us.pdf

Drives
Externally accessible	two 5.25-inch optical drives
Drives supported	• Blu-ray writer and DVD+/-RW
			• Blu-ray reader and DVD+/-RW combo
			• DVD+/-RW
Internally accessible	• two 3.5-inch SATA hard drives
			• one mSATA SSD
RAID support (internal SATA drives only)
			RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

I would leave Debian on the SSD. I would add a second HDD, set up RAID (I prefer ZFS), and put the /home filesystem there. For backups/ archives, I would install 3.5" SATA drive racks in the 5.25" external bays and/or connect USB 3.0 external HDD's..

David