Re: problem with sound for bullseye upgrade on amd64: must be root for sound to work on my machine

Thanks for responding Georgi,

I had already tried "alsactl init" earlier based on other advise found on the WWW.  However, I did not pay close enough attention because of error messages I get as shown below:

alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:0 use case configuration -2
Found hardware: "CMI8786" "CMI8786" "CS4245 CMI8786" "0x1043" "0x8467"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:1 use case configuration -2
Found hardware: "USB-Audio" "USB Mixer" "USB046d:082c" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
alsa-lib parser.c:260:(error_node) UCM is not supported for this HDA model (HDA NVidia at 0xfe9fc000 irq 49) alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:2 use case configuration -6 Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Nvidia GPU 51 HDMI/DP" "HDA:10de0051,38422724,00100100" "0x3842" "0x2724"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method

I cannot find much about this message, nor how to correct it.

The alsamixer seems to work fine as expected and indicates I have the sound card active and should hear sound.

But, it only provides actual sound if I am root.