Re: smart fans

On 8/22/21 2:26 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
didier gaumet wrote:

I would think that pwmconfig complains that it finds 3-pins
fans set up to PWM mode (4-pins required)

Your UEFI propose either to setup your fans globally or
individually and I think that by default the setup is
global. This would probably be fine il all your fans were
either 3-pins (DC mode) or 4-pins (preferably PWM mode but
DC mode is possibility). But you have both installed.
A solution could be, in your UEFI, to individually set up
all your 4-pins fans to PWM mode, while setting up all your
3-pins fans to DC mode.

Yeah, or replace the 3-pins with 4-pins?

I believe your motherboard can support both 3-pin and 4-pin fans using hardware/ firmware/ Setup.

re: pwmconfig, here is what it says:

$ sudo pwmconfig
# pwmconfig version 3.6.0
This program will search your sensors for pulse width
modulation (pwm) controls, and test each one to see if it
controls a fan on your motherboard. Note that many
motherboards do not have pwm circuitry installed, even if your
sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm
controls. The program will attempt to restore each fan to full
speed after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that
you physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
after the program has completed.

Found the following devices:
    hwmon0 is k10temp
    hwmon1 is asus
    hwmon2 is nouveau

Found the following PWM controls:
    hwmon2/pwm1           current value: 52
hwmon2/pwm1 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
you want to setup this output for manual control? (n) y

Giving the fans some time to reach full speed...
Found the following fan sensors:
    hwmon1/fan1_input     current speed: 0 ... skipping!

There are no working fan sensors, all readings are 0.
Make sure you have a 3-wire fan connected.
You may also need to increase the fan divisors.
See doc/fan-divisors for more information.

I consider motherboard hardware/ firmware control of fans to be more reliable than operating system control of fans. Using a Linux tool to control the fans involves several layers of complexity and, given closed-source motherboard hardware and firmware, the only route is reverse engineering; which is error-prone at best. And, you paid for a motherboard that has advanced fan control features. I would advise using the motherboard hardware/ firmware/ Setup utility to control your fans.

Can you control the speed of any of the fans using Setup?

David