Re: smart fans

On 8/22/21 1:39 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
4-pin fans wouldn't be possible because of the motherboard
sockets, I think, which are also 3-pin.

The motherboard user's manual says all of the fan connectors are 4-pin.

On 8/22/21 6:03 AM, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Like I already wrote, modifying voltage doesn't change speed of a motor
> (fan).

STFW here are some useful wiring diagrams for x86 ATX PC computer power supplies and fans:

https://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

https://landing.coolermaster.com/faq/3-pin-and-4-pin-fan-wire-diagrams/

Changing the supply voltage of a old-school 2-wire fan will change the speed. These typically have 4-pin power supply Molex connectors and/or 2-pin 0.1" general electronics connectors. I connect these to Molex connectors or manual speed controllers, paying attention to alignment/ polarity.

Changing the supply voltage of a 3-pin fan, where the 3rd wire is tachometer feedback, will change the speed. I connect these to motherboard 3-pin and 4-pin fan connectors, paying attention to the alignment tab.

Changing the supply voltage of a 4-pin fan, where the 3rd wire is tachometer feedback and the 4th wire is PWM speed control, may change the fan speed, may cause the electronics onboard the fan assembly to malfunction or fail, and/or may cause the electronics feeding the fan to malfunction or fail. I connect these to motherboard 4-pin fan connectors, paying attention to the alignment tab.

Be careful when making connections. I once mis-aligned a 2.5" IDE HDD 40-pin power/signal adapter cable to a 2.5" IDE HDD and was off by one row. When I energized the power supply, the result was a short-circuit, smoked insulation, and permanently damaged hardware!

David