Respect for newbies and new comers [ was : moderators, I would appreciate if you could interfere ]

On 2021-08-19 11:58 a.m., Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:

> Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside <debian@polynamaude.com> writes:

>>> If you're trying to label that as "politically correct" then I think
>>> you may need to change your expectations. The "principles of open
>>> source" do not include a free pass to be abusive to others.
Strange to say it's not meant to be something that I'm related to, as he
comment on a opinion I had and goes on to say that I'm trying to pass
something as politically correct.

Anyway kind of useless to have any type of explanation here. You'll all
be more into telling your friends they are right and keeping this as if
it's your own club house. And pushing away everything that is not in
your line of view.

I've known for long time that computer flavored mailing list we're
mostly male oriented and that the respect for others was only existing
in the view of "don't bother me".

> As Steve did not send this mail to you, I would not take it personally.
>
> And even though it were, Steve's message is pretty explicit, so I guess
> the message he is trying to pass here is quite clear.

Great for him, cheer if you feel like it.
If mine wasn't clear enough, now it is.

Leave alone the newbies if you can't be kind and full of comprehension
for them.

In case it was missed...

The world has changed and so does the user on this list. Some people may
say "I've been on this list for 20 years, was better before". Yes it was
different before but those are changes that goes with the fact that now
Linux is more democratic. Some distribution made good publicity (I think
of Ubuntu) and this made more people start using Linux, even ones that
weren't system admins or that weren't forced to use a Unix/Linux system
to run some specific application or services. And Debian itself got
easier to use, with a widespread support for most common hardware on the
x86/x64 platform.
Wasn't the goal of all this to get new users to Debian ? Don't we want
as much user as possible to use Debian ? So that they can also test the
software we all use and give us feedback, even discover bugs that didn't
pop up at us ?
We can't expect all those new users to be Cisco certified network
administrator or to have a master degree in computer science, being able
to write in assembly language, C/C++/Fortran and some Lisp too. We have
to accept those new users and remember that we also asked question that
seem stupid for others and we also asked question that the answer we're
in the first page of the manual.
If we can look at ourselves and that's not something that everyone seems
able to do. Or we can join the club of all the people nostalgic of the
soviet union and the 1970s and dream of the cold war but if we do so
then we must also go back using a 1200 baud modem and a teletype.
If we can't be kind then we must abstain.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside