Re: moderators, I would appreciate if you could interfere

On 2021-08-19 11:12 a.m., Steve McIntyre wrote:
> weaver@riseup.net wrote:
>> On 16-08-2021 11:29, lou wrote:
>>> Andrew, i thought you r moderator because you post monthly list guideline
>>>
>>> and you speak kindly with some authority when some list user deviate
>>
>> By reputation, the list is unmoderated, and that's the way it used to
>> be.
>> It still bears the token title of an unmoderated list but, in reality, a
>> small collective of the politically correct have placed it under their
>> auspices to moderate it. They have all the rationale, they believe, to
>> do so, but this is quite in contradiction with the principles of open
>> source, so it's an interesting phenomenon to observe.
>
> For the avoidance of doubt...
>
> The debian-user list may be listed as "not moderated", but that just
> means that posting is open by default. This mailing list, like all
> Debian-hosted mailing lists, is subject to both the Debian mailing
> list Code of Conduct and the main Debian Code of Conduct:

> https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct
>
> As Andrew points out in his excellent and helpful regular posting:
>
>   Inappropriate behaviour on the list may lead to warnings; repeated bad
>   behaviour may lead to temporary or permanent bans for offenders.
>
> If you're trying to label that as "politically correct" then I think
> you may need to change your expectations. The "principles of open
> source" do not include a free pass to be abusive to others.
I don't know what you are trying to pass as message here. But I never
said that open source is a pass to being abusive toward others.
I've always pushed toward kindness and understanding as much possible.
What I said was that as this list is "unmoderated" this means that it is
open for posting to everyone. So yes this cause a possibility of higher
than other list for message going off-topic.
What I advocate and will continue to do so is going against the type of
self appointed policing who take a pleasure of pointing others crossing
of their interpretation of what they consider being the rules.
There's a excellent judgement from the European High Court called the
"TaxQuest ruling" that state the most important part of the decision is
the motivation behind it.
So when you simply tell a new comer "You do this wrong" and don't
explain why then this is just not helpful and far from being what a
welcoming community would do.
If there's a rule of law that state "No one shall ignore the law" and
still people seems to ignore some interpretation of the rules edict for
our society, this also applies to this mailing list where not all the
users read the FAQ, code of conduct and all that is related. And even if
they did read all of this before subscribing, they'll forgot part of it
and feel bloated.
So if you are expecting to pass a message of the type that I'm trying to
justify messages that you consider off-topic and making them politically
correct. No this is not the case, even if I can do nothing for your own
belief.
Because in all conversation, there will always be moment where the
simple social act of exchanging information will make us leave the main
context and go aside. This is also what make us human being, with
emotions and a need to socialize. Probably the ones who have a social
life other than behind a keyboard will understand, for others then just
hold to the belief.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside