Re: Still on stretch, getting ready for bullseye

On Tuesday 17 August 2021 09:08:43 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 09:01:32AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Tell me where to read about an insitu upgrade from stretch to
> > buster,
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/
>
> > root@coyote:~$ apt update
> > Hit:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
> > Hit:2 http://linuxcnc.org stretch InRelease
> > Hit:3 https://deb.debian.org/debian oldstable InRelease
> > Hit:4
> > http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0
> >.0/debian stretch InRelease
> > Hit:5
> > http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian
> > stretch InRelease
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > 2588 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see
> > them.
> >
> > 2 hours later it still wants to do that. That is enough to put me on
> > buster. IF it works.
>
> You literally have the word "oldstable" in your sources.list for your
> main Debian repository?  That's a really unsound practice.  It will
> lead to unexpected release upgrades (or worse, unexpected *failed*
> release upgrades).

Now I am doubly confused, according to what I'm looking at in the
synaptic repo list, I do have that in the first entry, disabled now. I
sure don't recall adding that as it had to be added since Saturday.  And
now its only two to be updated, lightning and t-bird, not 2588 packages.

> You also have multiple third-party repositories in your sources.list.
> It's strongly recommended that you remove those during the release
> upgrade.  You may or may not also have to remove the *packages* that
> came from them.  It'll be on an "at your own risk" basis if you don't.

Several folks on the TDE mailing list have already reported no problems
doing the update. Ditto for linuxcnc, although they may have to build a
realtime kernel before linuxcnc will run right again. But thats a
special case for the other machines here, and not applicable to this one
which isn't running machinery heavier than a tabloid sized brother
printer.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis