Re: Still on stretch, getting ready for bullseye

On Tuesday 17 August 2021 08:05:27 Dan Ritter wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I just installed another sata controller and 4 1 T-byte Samsung
> > SSD's.
> >
> > The controller claims to be a 15 port port expander, but only 6 are
> > bonded out, and collectively show up at ata7 in dmesg.
> >
> > They show up as /dev/sde/f/g/h but have not otherwise been touched.
> >
> > So I thought I'd make sure I was up to date, annd possibly install
> > some raid-ish stuff to prepare this array for use as /home in the
> > bullseye install, but something is ay least 5000% aglay.
> >
> > sudo apt update says it wants to gut much of the system and upgrade
> > 2588 packages. Yet my repo list looks like its normal stretch.
> >
> > What is going on? Do I wind up on buster or should I kiss it all
> > goodbye?
>
> Tell us more about what you're doing, but also remember that you
> can't skip stable versions in an upgrade - you need to upgrade
> from stretch to buster, then to bullseye.
>
> -dsr-

I am subbed Dan, don't need the Cc:

Tell me where to read about an insitu upgrade from stretch to buster, its
running very well on 5 other machines here.

Or is that what apt wants to do this Monday morning by wanting to upgrade
2588 packages? This is an uptodate stretch, last checked day before
yesterdaty, aka Saturday, but now it wants to do this:

root@coyote:~$ apt update
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Hit:2 http://linuxcnc.org stretch InRelease
Hit:3 https://deb.debian.org/debian oldstable InRelease
Hit:4
http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian
stretch InRelease
Hit:5 http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian
stretch InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
2588 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

2 hours later it still wants to do that. That is enough to put me on
buster. IF it works. That is the $64,000 question, will it work? Or has
somebody misscopied the apt list from buster to stretch?

Thanks Dan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis