Re: All-in-One printer: HP OfficeJet 8012

On Wed 11 Aug 2021 at 12:39:46 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 11:36:40 +0100
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> >a future CUPS will not work with PPDs and driver
>
> Indeed, you mentioned that previously (I'd forgotten already).  However,
> checking the github post you cite in another message (to this list), it
> would appear apple are putting in place mechanisms whereby affected
> printers will continue to useable in the new version of CUPS.

Apple aren't putting anything in place; OpenPrinting is. Apple ceased
to maintain CUPS some time ago.

   https://openprinting.github.io/documentation/01-printer-application/

> So not as bad a picture as it at first appears.

For free drivers, indeed not. We will have to wait and see how vendors
of non-free drivers respond.

Note that I did not say that HP's printing software would not be
available in the future.

--
Brian.