Re: All-in-One printer: HP OfficeJet 8012

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 19:54:23 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Brian,

>As I've said previously, a future CUPS will not support printer drivers.
>HPLIP provides printer drivers. There will be little point in Debian
>packaging HPLIP, wouldn't you agree? But this is a few years away.

When, eventually, all HP printers run driverless _and_ no no-driverless
printer exist 'in the wild', yes.  Until then, I'd expect HPLIP to
remain.  Debian is, after all, about choice.

>Stick with what you have (it works) but think about getting ahead of the
>game.

....I try to not get caught out, but sometimes, things pass me by.

For example, when I installed the new printer, I was aware of driverless
printing, but didn't have time to research it - we had a backlog of
printing to do, and ppl were /screaming/ at me to be able to print.

This was family, BTW:  *Far* worse than any employer I've ever worked
for.   :-D

--
 Regards  _
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"