Re: All-in-One printer: HP OfficeJet 8012

On Wed 11 Aug 2021 at 08:19:37 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 19:54:23 +0100
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> >As I've said previously, a future CUPS will not support printer drivers.
> >HPLIP provides printer drivers. There will be little point in Debian
> >packaging HPLIP, wouldn't you agree? But this is a few years away.
>
> When, eventually, all HP printers run driverless _and_ no no-driverless
> printer exist 'in the wild', yes.  Until then, I'd expect HPLIP to
> remain.  Debian is, after all, about choice.

The condition you lay down in the first sentence is not a factor in
determining whether Debian packages HPLIP. HPLIP uses PPDs and drivers;
a future CUPS will not work with PPDs and drivers. The choice will be
to have a working printing system using driverless or a non-working
printing system.

--
Brian.