Re: MDs & Dentists

Hi,

On 2021-08-01 9:58 a.m., Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> I expected that answer.
> Debian is still 1/2 of it, but kinda dysfunctional, cos of me & scam
> Trying to set up Debian in a VM in another Linux distro, with Chef
> So I cannot really see irrelevance
> of my question?? Like Nobody here knows how to fix this one, cos it's
> slightly out of D. politics?
There's no such thing as "Debian Politics" (or what would D.Politics
mean, could be useful to put a bit more effort in making your message
intelligible for others).

What there's present here is a community of user that revolve around the
Debian Linux distribution, centered over the Debian distribution. So if
you run Distribution XYZ and are trying to get Debian running on a VM,
we can help you with the Debian part, not much with setting up the VM or
what goes with the underlying OS.

Not because of some "politics" or because we are stubborn or stillborn,
but because we probably have not much experience with the underlying
system. We have interest in Debian and this is what we all use mostly.

We've exchanged (me and many others) at least two dozen of messages in
the last weeks or so. And still, we don't have a clue if you are running
Debian.

But, we have gave you chances and tools to straight this out.

*Here's a short part...*

Rather than a back and forth on whether Gunnar's description of the
machine is correct, it might be more productive to suggest running
some simple, definitive commands like:

$ ls /sys/firmware/
acpi  dmi  efi  memmap
$

It either includes "efi" (UEFI-booted), or it doesn't (BIOS-booted).

$ uname -a
Linux ajax 4.19.0-17-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.194-3 (2021-07-18) x86_64
GNU/Linux
$

The kernel architecture is given (x86_64 here). The "arch" command is
terser. i686/i586/i486 would indicate an i386 architecture.

$ grep address /proc/cpuinfo
$

Anything over 32 indicates 64-bit capability, whether or not
it is being exploited. A 32-bit processor will only yield:

*And here goes another one...*

Of course I haven't. I see scattered posts (only some) from Gunnar
that don't seem to make a lot of sense, followed up by discussion and
argument, much of which could be avoided by getting some facts into
the posts. Hence my suggestion (snipped) to run

$ ls /sys/firmware/
$ uname -a
$ grep address /proc/cpuinfo

and clarify what type of machine (machines?) is being discussed.
Perhaps it's reckless not to have suggested a command proving
it's a Debian system.

In all of Gunnar's posts, I think I have only seen one report of actual
output posted, and I have no idea what the origin of that was, viz:

  # UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM
  overlay / overlay rw 0 0
  tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
  /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 EXT2 nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
  /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3 EXT2
nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,noauto,x-udisks-auth 0 0
  /dev/sda2 none swap sw,x-udisks-auth,noauto 0 0

*Now sorry...*
Maybe English is not your main language or there's something else but I
have to agree with the writter of this last message.
Some your post don't make much sense and take more energy to understand
the text themselves than they require to really find any type of
computing problem.

What is easy to understand for yourself may not be the case for others.

In the long term, you'll be the one facing penalties for this as people
will just get tired and start ignoring.

No one's got obligation here and we are all volunteer doing so for the
pleasure of helping others.

Even myself, when I take to explain things like I'm doing now.

And like I did for the "top posting".

Here's some tip...

I'll show you some hard to understand in the following post...

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside