Re: Update or reinstall

On Wed 28 Jul 2021 at 17:25:09 (-0400), Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> On 2021-07-28 3:16 p.m., Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> > It is a Toshiba 160 gb hd in a 14 years old Macbook i386 ❤️/x86 32 b
> > booting from Bios not uefi. I'll give full report in 1-2 weeks, after
> > put in VM in it, faster internet to it to handle VM.
> > And built websites with it.
> > Geg
>
> What's the link between installing a VM and the description of your laptop ?
>
> Also, Macbook in x86 booting from BIOS ?
>
> Macbook use either UEFI for the Intel ones or OpenBoot for the older ones.
>
> No such thing as a BIOS on a MacBook.
>
> Sorry but your message is everything except easy to understand.
>
> If you are installing Linux in a VM on your laptop then you should also
> describe what type of VM you are using and the specifications. Your
> Friend Linu[s] should have taught you this. Also, he should teach you that
> a faster internet won't make your VM faster.
>
> Maybe you could either answer a message or include in this one, what
> reason are you writing this ?
>
> As it may sound obvious for yourself, it's not necessarily for others.
> Plus it's not much of use for someone who'd like into to the archive
> looking for answer.
>
> If I do get a idea of why you are writing this here, it's not the case
> for other people around.

One might assume from

that these deal with the same machine, and that Gunnar hasn't quite
mastered the technique of threading, but is keen to add to the
list of tested hardware.

Rather than a back and forth on whether Gunnar's description of the
machine is correct, it might be more productive to suggest running
some simple, definitive commands like:

$ ls /sys/firmware/
acpi  dmi  efi  memmap
$

It either includes "efi" (UEFI-booted), or it doesn't (BIOS-booted).

$ uname -a
Linux ajax 4.19.0-17-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.194-3 (2021-07-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux
$

The kernel architecture is given (x86_64 here). The "arch" command is
terser. i686/i586/i486 would indicate an i386 architecture.

$ grep address /proc/cpuinfo
$

Anything over 32 indicates 64-bit capability, whether or not
it is being exploited. A 32-bit processor will only yield:

> Same apply for your message regarding Pine laptop.
>
> Because now those two message are like a bottle in the ocean, not linked
> to anything.

Cheers,
David.