Re: Problem with crash post-install [ was: Update or reinstall ]

On 29.07.21 12:52, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
Hi,

On 2021-07-29 6:48 a.m., tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 12:29:16PM +0200, Marco Möller wrote:

On 29.07.21 10:25, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
Hi,
(...)
Gunnar  ( Gunnar Gervin <dofeelok@gmail.com> ) is having problem with
his laptop.
The system crashes post-update.

He need to do clean install every time.
And this is probably time consuming for him.

If other user has some hints...

[...] three times run a "sudo sync" [...]

While I've read about issuing sync *twice* with the explanation
that sysadmins are a supersticious bunch [1], the sudo is most
definitely unnecessary.
I think the running twice is also a bit of a too much extra.

I'm really asking why do it 3 time.
In case it came back to the prompt *before* finishing to do it's job ?
(...)
Misunderstanding: I wanted to suggest to run a "sudo sync" (1) before and (2) after the update and (3) before the system shutdown, in order to exclude that data wasn't fully written to disk at possible critical moments. This in total are three different situations when I suggest to run the sync command, and in all this three different situations it shall be run, thus running it three times (in total three times, not triple repeated in one of the situations). By the way, running it as "sudo" is not harming and makes sure that everything is written to disk without having to know if the sync command would behave different with and without the sudo. The point is, you want to debug a situation, you want to find out why an update is failing so severely and not reported to fail like this elsewhere, and sudo will not harm for this purpose while not using sudo could have left doubts if really all is written to disk - pragmatically focusing on problem solving without maybe producing more problems and without loosing time to construct a most elegant version of problem solving. Just get the problem solved!
I am curious to read if the "sudo sync" runs solved the update problem.
Good Luck! Marco.