Re: Problem with crash post-install [ was: Update or reinstall ]

Hi,

On 2021-07-29 6:48 a.m., tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 12:29:16PM +0200, Marco Möller wrote:
>>
>> On 29.07.21 10:25, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> (...)
>>> Gunnar  ( Gunnar Gervin <dofeelok@gmail.com> ) is having problem with
>>> his laptop.
>>> The system crashes post-update.
>>>
>>> He need to do clean install every time.
>>> And this is probably time consuming for him.
>>>
>>> If other user has some hints...
>
>> [...] three times run a "sudo sync" [...]
>
> While I've read about issuing sync *twice* with the explanation
> that sysadmins are a supersticious bunch [1], the sudo is most
> definitely unnecessary.
I think the running twice is also a bit of a too much extra.

I'm really asking why do it 3 time.
In case it came back to the prompt *before* finishing to do it's job ?

As far as I know, sync doesn't work in the background !

> The important part is actually /waiting/ for sync to "come back".
> Then you can assume that pending writes are committed.

That's a fact
> Cheers
> [1] A dash of superstition might even be beneficial in that
>    kind of job.
>  - t

This reassure me that I ain't the only one who find it a bit frivolous
to run sync 3 time in a row. This is not like making love, where there's
much pleasure to do so once after another.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside