Re: how best to do

On Wednesday 28 July 2021 23:32:11 Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> On 29/7/21 02:30, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > and mount where you will.
>
> G'day Gene
>
> I make back-up disks at fstab options
> noauto,noexec
>
> and mount/unmount as part of the cron script.  makes them 'less
> visible' to an uninvited visitor.
>
> Also, I run the back-up as root

I considered that when I started using amanda 20+ years ago, but have
thanks to dd-wrt in my router(s) I have never had the unwanted visitor.
This does have some exposure because this is also my web server, but I
do keep iptables up to date on blocking the bots that burn up my dsl
limited upload bandwidth mirroring my site. IMO, amanda's security model
is better than root.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis