Re: How do I mount the USB stick containing the installer in Rescue Mode?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 05:00, Stella Ashburne <rewefie@gmx.com> wrote:

I'm getting a sense of possible XY problem here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

> > Chicken and egg: I think the OP is trying to set up some sort of
> > repository to install packages from. (I can't be sure.

> Your guess is right. I wish to install linux-image-5.10.0-7-amd64.deb
> onto chroot /target after entering Rescue Mode.

I suspect that 'I want to use rescue mode to install a kernel' is
question "Y", whereas ...

> > I would
> > have preferred it if they'd continued to try and boot their
> > actual installed system,

> At this moment I don't have a GRUB menu.

... previously we have been told that a grub boot failure is the
*actual* problem "X", unless something has changed from what
we've been told so far.

In my opinion, this is what needs to be fixed before making the situation
more confusing by trying to add another kernel to a broken installation.

My guess is that the reinstallation failed because it was
done in such a way that /boot was not the mount point
of the unencrypted boot partition at the time that the
installer configured grub and generated the initrd.

After chroot succeeds, the first goal must be to fix what originally
caused the grub menu breakage during the reinstall attempt.
That requires to check that /boot is the mount point of the
unencrypted boot partition

After that, run 'grub-update' and 'grub-install' as I have
already advised in previous messages.

'grub-install --boot-directory=/mount/point/of/boot/partition
/dev/hdd/specified/here'

Note that these commands must be run in a *linux* *shell*
environment. And the grub> prompt is *not* one of those.
grub is not an entire linux system, it is just a boot loader.

I would also make a backup of all the initrd files and then run
'update-initramfs -u -k all' and fix any errors it gives.

And then reboot and see if it works.

The time to install a new kernel will be after that.

Also as previously advised, if asking for help in future please
show the output of 'lsblk -f' because it shows all devices, whereas
'mount' and 'df' only give information about filesystems that
are mounted.