Re: Working for free [was: Offensive variable names]

	Hi.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 11:22:48AM +0200, john doe wrote:
> On 7/13/2021 10:54 AM, Reco wrote:
> > Github (Gitlab, Sourceforge, etc) were and are non-free (as in -
> > non-gratis) services, so it's only reasonable to stay away from them
> > regardless of whom is controlling them.
> >
> > You need to be in control of your code - *you* host it. Always was,
> > always is. It's not that hard anyway.
>
> So the bottom line is that you need to have a server to host this
> yourself but what do you suggest if you don't have the gears/capacity to
> do it yourself (VPS ...)?

I suggest them to learn it and deal with it. Quitting software
development is also an option (and in the case of certain programming
languages it's a preferred one), though, there's much more so called
"software developers" that the world really needs anyway.

Relinquishing control is also an option, but there will be consequences.
For instance, that link that tomas had provided. Or all those recent
stories about Github and complying with DMCA.
I'm not saying that the consequences will be there immediately (because
it's never *that* easy), but certainly they will be hard (or impossible)
to anticipate.

Reco