Re: Mail Reader

Hi,

On 2021-07-08 9:53 a.m., Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 08 July 2021 08:34:26 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 12:26:14PM -0000, Curt wrote:
>>>
>>> The use of terminal software can be fatal.
>>
>> Definitely. It may get... addictive.
>>
>>> I use alpine myself [...]
>>> remind me of the dinosaurs in the back row of AA meetings (see
>>> *Infinite Jest* if you're interested)---swear by Mutt (repeatedly
>>> swear by it without noticeable fatigue, every time this self-same
>>> question is posed,
>>
>> They *just* might have a point, then ;-D
>
> As do those of us who use fetchmail to feed procmail, and procmail with
> some spamassassin for deaths and diversions to feed the TDE version of
> kmail-1.9, all totally background processes. So it is all automatic with
This sound like the solution I want...
It can probably also be used with mutt, I mean you can access your mail
folder with both software if they are in compatible format ?

> my only interaction being a mouse click to goto the next unread msg, a
> mouseclick to answer it if I can help, and a mouseclick or ctl+return to
> send when I'm done typing. Of course fetchmail is built from the latest
> tarball. kmail is a TDE R14 fork of kde at version 3.5 with hundreds of
> bugs fixed. My kmail is in maildir format, and the corpus of email
> totals around 12GB. And it all Just Works. And my mailbox at my ISP is
12GB is lot of mail when you talk about "normal" mail. It's not much if
you consider everything that goes on in the alt.binaries.xxx newsgroup
(to they still exists?) but that's another story ! And not my use case.

> left empty every 2 minutes since fetchmail, using imap protocol, can
> delete fetched messages.  Whats not to like? But I've been 4 ISP's and
I don't know what not to like.
So the solution is not one but at least 4...
And I'll give mutt a try because I love terminal software and probably
that I'll get more efficient as soon I get use to it.
It is also easier to login remotely if needed ;-)
> 20 years making it Just Work. ;-)
Too often people think they'll get good after 30 minutes of watching
some YouTube video, but that's far from true.
I've been working with computer, as what I'd call a power user for the
last 25 years and a bit more. I still have so much to learn.

One day a friend of mine called me over because he said "The power
outage and lightning strike broke my computer".
I came in, and it was simply the BIOS asking for the new date.
I typed in and it all work.
I told him that it was fixed.
It ended up in a huge arguments because he didn't believe I could repair
it so fast....
It wasn't the lightning strike or power outage. It was a faulty BIOS
battery that made the real time clock go bad. This made the computer ask
for a date before continuing the boot process. Simple !
You know these when you have dealt with hundreds or thousand... Or you
simply had a computer that had a faulty BIOS battery or no battery for
RTC at all (Think it was my PC/XT)

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside