Re: Mail Reader

On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 01:08:03PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 08 iul 21, 10:53:09, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 11:39:42AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Any folder with more than a few hundred messages should probably be
> > > converted to Maildir, unless it's used as an archive and rarely (if
> > > ever) changed. (neo)mutt can deal with different formats per folder.
> >
> > Not my experience. As I said, my main mail folder is roughly 38k
> > messages (corresponding to 1.1G) and mutt deals extremely well
> > with that [...]

> I'll defer to your experience. When I switched away from mbox it was
> mainly to avoid problems due to different software accessing the storage
> at the same time.

That'd be a strong reason, perhaps the only one pulling me off mbox.

> Searching is likely to be faster with mbox because it's only one file
> per mailbox, but I doubt it's noticeable compared to Maildir and for
> huge archives notmuch is probably a good idea anyway.

Mutt dealt so-far so well with my huge mboxes that I just was too
lazy to explore alternatives. Every couple of years I split off
the older part of my main mbox to an archive (high traffic mailing
lists get their own mboxes) and that's it.

From time to time "ideas" crop up about changing my setup, but up
to now, not one has come with enough impulse to surmount the
activation energy :)

Cheers
 - t