Re: Btrfs scrub going past 100%

On 7/2/21 5:48 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Paul wrote:
I run regular btrfs scrubs through btrfsmaintenance on my disk array without
issues. This time, though, the scrub percentage went over 100%. I kept it
running so that I can file a bug if this is one.

Which package do I file this against? I believe it's in the Linux kernel not
btrfs-progs, but I thought I would ask since I'm new to this.

UUID:             xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
Scrub started:    Thu Jul  1 00:03:28 2021
Duration:         37:13:49
Time left:        21358913:01:19
ETA:              Mon Feb 11 06:18:36 4458
Total to scrub:   29.08TiB
Bytes scrubbed:   29.24TiB  (100.56%)
Rate:             228.79MiB/s
Error summary:    no errors found
Reported to the btrfs list last year, doesn't look like there's
any followup. Check out your time left calculation, too.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-btrfs/a17a65d0-68d4-e220-0b2d-5c19cdc7be20@petaramesh.org/
They mention "When the filesystem has grown during scrub...". I'm not sure if they mean they increased the size of the FS while it was scrubbing. Definitely not a good idea, IMO.
It is probably significant that over the last year, I see a fair
number of issues with crashes and unrecoverable data on the btrfs list.
I've been using Btrfs for several years. It works quite well. I chose it over ZFS for its flexibility. The only issues I had are mostly my idiocy. Thankfully I was able to recover and didn't lose any data.
Just a data point ;)
On the ZFS list, most of the discussion is about optimal
configurations.

-dsr-

An update about the scrub: an hour or so later the percentage went back to 1%. I don't remember what happened to the other parameters, but I just cancelled it anyway. I didn't have any errors, thankfully, as usual.