Re: How to verify newly burned disc

Hi,

On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 12:24:17 +0200
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i wrote:
> > > You would need a filter program which takes care not to read more
> > > than ~ 20 MB/s. Then the [Pioneer BDR-S09] drive slows down
> > > automatically.
>
> Michael Lange wrote:
> > I see, that does not sound trivial, at least to me :)
>
> It would be a nice first exercise in about any programming language.
> The first time i implemented such a thing was for a QIC tape drive
> which overheated when running at full speed.

I tried that, but as it seems without any effect on the drive's speed.
Maybe my efforts were not sufficient :)
Or maybe it is because the drive does not seem to spin as fast as the
Pioneer. It looks like when reading a DVD-RW it takes about 1.2 seconds
to read 10 MB of data; when I insert the Asus-CD, the drive spins
audibly faster, but surprisingly takes about 3 seconds to read 10 MB.

> At the begin of this thread:
>
> > So far the Asus managed to pass all tests, so probably I should just
> > be grateful to all the transcendental authorities that guided my hand
> > when I picked that carton from the shelf :)
>
> Does yours pull in the tray automatically after 200 seconds of standing
> out ?

Yes, it actually does.

> I made a little poll here about this behavior, 1.5 years ago:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/01/msg00421.html
> Overview of result:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/02/msg00758.html

I remember that :)
Actually I thought I had participated, but that appears to be a false
memory.
For the record: afair the Plextor PX-810SA did nothing of that sort, Nor
does the 'TSSTcorp'  'CDDVDW SH-224DB' in the other machine.

> I wonder whether this is related to this obscure description on
>   https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Optical-Drives/Internal-DVD-Drive/DRW-24D5MT/
>
>   "E-Green technology auto-closes drive application when not in use,
>    saving over 50% power consumption for users"
>
> (What might be meant by "drive application" ?)

I thought they just mean that it spins down after a few minutes, but who
knows? On the disc that came with the drive there is a "ASUS
E-Green.exe", so maybe we would need to install this first to fully enjoy
the Wonders of "E-Green"? :)

Best regards

Michael

The joys of love made her human and the agonies of love destroyed her.
		-- Spock, "Requiem for Methuselah", stardate 5842.8